Institution of Civil Engineers & Thomas Telford Ltd Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice has been issued by the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) and its wholly owned subsidiary Thomas Telford Limited (TTL), to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which comes into effect on 25th May 2018. The Privacy Notice replaces any Fair Collection Notice issued under the Data Protection Act 1998.
The data controller can be contacted as follows:
The Institution of Civil Engineers
One Great George Street
Telephone 0207 665 2146
Use, transfer and storage of personal data
We may hold any of the following items of personal information about you:
- Personal details including your name, ICE membership number, gender, date of birth, postal and email addresses and telephone number.
- Employee details.
- ICE membership grade.
- Details of professional journals that you may subscribe to.
- Details of your attendance at ICE events.
- Professional interests.
- Membership of professional committees
- Details of knowledge products or services purchase from TTL.
- Details of any interactions with our job board ICE Recruit
- Details of voluntary donations made to the ICE Benevolent Fund, QUEST and/or the R&D fund.
The Institution of Civil Engineers and Thomas Telford Ltd maintain data on all members. We also maintain data on non-members who use our services. This will be used confidentially for normal purposes, including subscription and donation collection, mailing of publications, contract fulfilment when purchasing TTL products and services and notification of conferences and events. Your name and grade will be displayed on our online Members’ Directory.
We also use this information to inform you of professional knowledge products that ICE and TTL provide such as training, books, journals NEC contracts and in addition career opportunities.
The ICE may share your data with the Engineering Council, universities at which you are studying and your employer if you are on an ICE training scheme or TTL may share your data (or the data of others you have supplied to us) with your employer or third party supplier to solely enable the delivery of a service you have purchased such as training,
Overseas members may have their data transferred to International Country representatives for administration of local events in their country of residence. Member data will also be shared with the ICE Benevolent Fund.
Personal data relating to ICE membership may be stored securely in perpetuity for historical purposes. Personal data relating to non-members and/or TTL customers will only be held for as long as needed to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected.
Your rights in relation to your data
The purpose of this Privacy Notice is to fulfil your right to be informed about the use of your data. In addition:
- You have the right to access your personal data. If you wish to request copies of your personal data please contact the Data Protection Officer at the address above.
- You have the right to have your data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- You have the right to have your personal data deleted or removed if there is no reason for its continued storage and processing.
- You have the right to object to your personal data being processed and to restrict the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances. While processing is restricted, the data controller is permitted to store the personal data to ensure the restriction is respected in future. You will be informed if a restriction on processing is lifted.
- You have the right to lodge a complaint about the data controller with the ICO.
Please note that if you choose to exercise your rights to withhold data or insist on its deletion, then ICE and TTL may not be able to perform their duties in relation to your professional membership of the fulfilment of contracts relating to products and services purchased.
Further details about GDPR and your rights under GDPR can be found at the ICO’s website at https://ico.org.uk
At ICE Recruit we take the security of our web site and your data extremely seriously.
ICE Recruit does not capture and store any personal information about individuals who access our Web sites, except where you voluntarily choose to give us your personal details by E-mail, or ordering our services and products. In these cases, the information you give us is used exclusively by ICE Recruit to provide you with information about our products and services. We do not pass any of your personal data to any other organisation, except with your express consent.
ICE Recruit does not store cookies on your computer that last any longer than your browsing session, and these are only used to provide essential functionality to the site.
ICE Recruit only monitors the IP addresses of visitors to the site to assess the popularity of pages, IP addresses are not linked to any personal information and visitors will remain anonymous.
If you have voluntarily given us information you have the right to know about the personal information we hold about you and you have a right to have your data corrected or deleted. Please address all your requests and/or queries about our data protection policy, along with a cheque for £10 (made payable to the Institution of Civil Engineers) to:
The Data Protection Officer The Institution of Civil Engineers One Great George Street London SW1P 3AA